Strawberry Shortcake with Biscuits and Berry Compote
When I think of food, I think of a place of love. I was always told growing up as a young woman the way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Well for Valentine's Day this year, we aren't trying to squeeze into just a man's heart lol. Here's my Strawberry Shortcake with Biscuits and Berry Compote that will allow you to woe over your husband, your children, your BFF and your granny.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
1 can of homestyle biscuits or make them from scratch
1 carton of fresh strawberries, quartered
4 tablespoonsful sugar
2 sprigs basil or about a teaspoonful if using storebought
2 cups heavy cream
2 tablespoonful creme fraiche
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook biscuits per instructions on packaging.
2. Clean and hull strawberries. Divide them in half, one half will be mascerated and the other will be used for your compote.
3. Chop strawberries fine and cook with 2 tablespoonful sugar in a saucepan over medium heat, stir often, until berries are softened and the mixture is thick, normally about 5-7 minutes. Set aside and let cool.
4. Meanwhile, grab your basil, 1 tablespoonful of sugar and the rest of the strawberries and toss in a bowl and let sit until fruit begins to release it's natural juice, 10 to 15 minutes should be perfect.
5. Now using an electrical mixer, beat cream, creme fraiche, and remaining sugar until it gets thick and creamy, about 5 minutes. Taste your cream and sweeten to your preference.
6. Split biscuits in half and fill with the whipped cream mixture, berry compote and mascerated strawberries.