Caldo de Pollo Mexican Chicken Soup Recipe
So what is Caldo de Pollo? Caldo de Pollo in Spanish is just soup (caldo) of chicken (pollo). My husband and I make this soup quite often now in our home. It's an authentic mexican chicken soup recipe that starts with chicken, always use a whole chicken with bone in pieces to add flavors, layer with fresh and flavorful vegetables. These whole pieces of chicken, slowly simmered with just a few ingredients, magically turn chicken and water into a bold and flavorful meal so satisfying it’s like a food, medicine and love all in one pot. No doubt, Chicken Soup is an American classic, it’s good for the soul. Sharing and discovering new cooking traditions has given me an immense amount of appreciation and love for international cuisine. I hope sharing this recipe does the same for you.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
2 lbs of chicken whole or pieces
1/2 garlic clove
2 liters of water
1 potato, cut in quarters
1 whole carrot, sliced
1 Mexican squash, sliced
1 serrano pepper
2 tablespoonsful of Sabor de pollo Seasoning (Here, Kroger or International Grocery)
1. Clean and rinse chicken.
2. Place chicken in pot with water. Add Sabor de Pollo seasoning and garlic, onion and allow the water to boil. Cook for 20 minutes.
3. After chicken has cooked for 20 minutes, add tomatoes, carrots, potatoes, serrano pepper, and oregano.
4. Cook for another 30-40 minutes. Turn the fire down and add the mexican squash. Cover.
5. Allow the squash to cook for about 5 minutes.
6. If you'd like, cook tortillas or serve with rice.
SERVE & ENJOY!