Balsamic Vinaigrette Chicken with Roasted Veggies
I have always believed the love of food begins with great memories. You remember people, places and things and the food you eat while making some of your fondest memories. They get embedded into your palate. My mother's baked chicken, I pray that I will always remember it for as long as I can. Many of the things I enjoy eating and cooking are highly shaped by watching my mother cook or savoring the taste of her food. This Balsamic Vinaigrette Chicken Recipe is a blend of my mother's baked chicken and how she would eat veggies drenched in balsamic dressing....
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
1 package of chicken
prepackaged veggie medley (broccoli, carrots, cauliflower)
1 red onion
1 tbsp of butter
sea salt & pepper for veggies
1 bottle of balsamic vinaigrette dressing , brand of your choice
preferred store bought seasoning for chicken--season salt, meat tenderizer, pepper, lemon pepper, italian seasoning
Prep time for marinating is important for this recipe. Allow both the chicken and veggies to marinate at least 30 minutes.
1. Rinse vegetable medley well and slice half of the onion or as much as you desire. Season with sea salt and pepper. Next, add the half of the contents of the dressing to the vegetables in a bowl and toss really well. Cover and allow to marinate.
2. Rinse and pat dry your chicken. Season the chicken on both sides to your liking. Just for the beginner cook, I don't measure many of my home cooked meals lol. I use the old woman, eyeballing but a good rule of thumb is to make sure your chicken is covered with seasoning. Just make sure to go light on any of the salt based seasonings. Let the seasonings settle in for about 20 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place the chicken in a baking dish and add a little water, don't cover the chicken just add water so it won't stick and the steam will help bake the chicken. Your total baking time will be about 1 hour and 30-45 minutes.
4. At about 1 hour and 15 minutes, drain the dressing from the veggies but set it aside, you'll need it. On medium high heat melt 1 tablespoonful of butter to a skillet. Cook veggies for about 3-4 minutes. Meanwhile, remove the chicken from the oven, pour the remainder of the dressing onto the chicken. Be sure to cover the chicken.
5. Pour the veggies and dressing into the baking dish, cut the lemon in half and squeeze fresh lemon juice onto the chicken and veggies. Place everything back in the oven for the remaining 15-20 minutes of baking time.
6. Roast the lemon on both sides in a skillet on the stovetop. Allow the lemon to caramelize and get brown on both sides.
7. Last step, turn the oven on broil. Place the lemons in the baking dish and broil the chicken and veggies for about 5-7 minutes to allow it to brown.
I would love to know if you make it and if you enjoy it. Please share your dishes with me using #andreafenise